Wentcher Scholars reflect outstanding academic performance and personal character. We are proud to share a small sampling of stories about our Wentcher Scholars and how they are making their marks on communities across the nation and around the world. Their achievements attest to Ernest Wentcher’s conviction that his Scholars are the “best investments” he ever made.
- Rana Ballo, MD Rana's work as a hospital volunteer during high school sparked her interest in the medical field. Read how a love of STEM, assistance from the Wentcher Foundation, and a commitment to "paying it forward" led her to a career as a general surgeon.
- Rafal Sobota, MD, PhD Rafal found a passion for the medical field early on. An unrelenting work ethic and desire to help others, combined with help from the Wentcher Foundation, provided the start he used to make an impact in the healthcare field.
- Chanta Williams Growing up in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood, Chanta saw first hand the many problems residents in her community faced. Determined to make a positive change, she chose to use her Wentcher Scholarship to attend historically-black institutions where she would hone her skills as an organizer, leader and activist.
- Angelica Cornejo, LPC Determined to address the disparities, as well as the stigma, that low-income communities face when trying to access mental health services, Angelica set her sights on a career in counseling. Now a Licensed Professional Counselor, she takes pride in the role she plays in being a mentor and advocate for her clients.
- Alberto Villamiel, CRNA, DNP Alberto's mother always told him that education was a "treasure" that no one could take away. He took her advice to heart and forged a notable academic path that would lead him to earn his Doctorate in Nursing Practice.